terça-feira, 4 de outubro de 2022

The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo

 


“It takes everything I have not to take it back, not to apologize profusely. My mother raised me to be polite, to be demure. I have long operated under the idea that civility is subservience. But it hasn’t gotten me very far, that type of kindness. The world respects people who think they should be running it. I’ve never understood that, but I’m done fighting it.”


“The world doesn’t give things, you take things. If you learn one thing from me, it should probably be that.”


“I miss my dad. I miss him all the time. But it’s moments like this, when I’m on the precipice of finally doing work that might just expand my heart, that I wish I could at least send him a letter, telling him what I’m doing. And I wish that he could send me one back. 

I already know what he would write. Something like “I’m proud of you. I love you.” But still, I’d like to get one anyway.”


“People think that intimacy is about sex.

But intimacy is about truth.”


“Heartbreak is loss. Divorce is a piece of paper.”


“There was so much anticipation. And it never paid off, no matter how many times you watched it, no matter how perfectly you paused the tape.

And here’s why it worked: man, woman, gay, straight, bisexual, you name it, we all just want to be teased.”


“It’s always been fascinating to me how things can be simultaneously true and false, how people can be good and bad all in one, how someone can love you in a way that is beautifully selfless while serving themselves ruthlessly.”


“So be honest about that. No one is just a victim or a victor. Everyone is somewhere in between. People who go around casting themselves as one or the other are not only kidding themselves, but they’re also painfully unoriginal.”


“I feel no pressure to stop crying. I feel no need to explain myself. You don’t have to make yourself OK for a good mother; a good mother makes herself OK for you. And my mother has always been a good mother, a great mother.”


Excerpt From

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

Taylor Jenkins Reid

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário